This Week in Magic 2/2 – 2/9
- Dark Ascension Event Deck Lists—Monty Ashley previews Gleeful Flames and Spiraling Doom.
- Pro Tour Dark Ascension Coverage—Live video streaming begins at 2 PM Eastern, continuing through the finals on Sunday!
Standard and Block
- Blinding Sunrise, Dark Ascension—Mike Flores on the state of Standard as the pros head to Hawaii.
- Strangling Standard—Josh Silvestri has a mono-green Strangleroot Geist list that brings the beatdown.
- Standard Dungrove Aggro for Cincinnati—Todd Anderson’s 24 Forests powers a rather intimidating Bellowing Tanglewurm.
- Bruises—Justin Vizaro, well-acquainted with U/B, shares his take on Standard Zombies.
- Looking at Dark Ascension, Part 2—Chingsung Chang has already dealt with Delver of Secrets, and now he’s on to Birthing Pod.
- 52 FNMs—Jon Corpora continues his Friday Night Magic series by slinging Deathfed, the Innistrad Event Deck, at his local store. How competitive was the preconstructed deck?
- A Look at DKA Draft Archetypes—Melissa DeTora on how G/U Self-Mill, G/W Travel Preparations, and U/R Control are drafted with the new set.
- Killing Creatures in Dark Ascension Limited—($SCG) Jeremy Neeman attempts to make sense of a plane where removal spells are seemingly all situational.
- MTGOAcademy’s Ravnica Drafts—Drafts by Limited Resources, ShipitHolla, and PlanetWalls.
Vintage, Legacy, and Model
- The Land Continues to Burn—Adam Barnello on how not to get beat by Eternal Burn.
- Legacy 2012: Is the Tide Turning? —($SCG) Patrick Chapin looks at the ground gained by non-blue decks in Legacy.
- Nic Fit (GB) vs. Reanimator—Caleb Durward on a matchup that gives G/B fits.
Casual and Variant Formats
- So I hear you Like Elves—Sean McKeown reworks an Ezuri deck and extols Gaea’s Cradle.
- The Isperia Challenge—Sheldon Menery takes a second stab at Isperia and attempts to limit Commander staples.
- Feeding Time—Mike Cannon brings a couple of feeding frenzy themed decks to the kitchen table.
- Going Mental—Nathan Weizenbaum’s weekly puzzle features Mental Magic, a popular format that makes a rare article appearance.
- Grave Power Review—ErtaisLament on a intro pack that doesn’t stray from its theme.
- The Battle of the Specs—($SCG) Ted Knutson is looking for four financial apprentices and provides the blueprint for the contest-based series.
- Dark Ascension Set Review—Brian Grewe sifts through the Dark Ascension bulk rares in search of speculative earnings.
- Following the Coverage—($SCG) Chad Havas’s results-oriented analysis reveals financial futures for cards like Vorapede.
- Learn the Most, Earn the Most—Kelly Reid demonstrates how he’s used various sites to cobble together the Magic-equivalent of the Wall Street Journal.
Theory and Miscellany
- History is Written by the Literate—Brandon Isleib discusses how Magic writers skew Blue, coloring our perception of viable decks.
- Open Ears—Jesse Smith on how being open to constructive criticism helped him grow as a brewer.
- Sideboarding Strategy—Owen Turtenwald on the final fifteen.